First organized by MSU faculty in 1929 as the State College Club, the U-Club has a long and distinguished history of serving the university mission, and facilitating positive town and gown relations. The current clubhouse opened in 1970, providing a welcoming retreat for faculty, staff, alumni, and friends conveniently adjacent to the East Lansing campus.
Today, the U-Club serves the entire Greater Lansing community and remains a place where education, discussion, recreation, and community fellowship flourish. If you’d like to read more details about our esteemed history, click below.
Recognized nationwide as one of the premiere college campus clubs in North America, the U-Club is often host to visiting faculty and guests from other universities. In 2001, the Club received the prestigious Excellence in Club Management Award, presented annually in three categories to club general managers who have exhibited outstanding skills and innovation in club management.
As the U-Club continues to provide excellence in service to its members, it also has become an educational forum for others. Working with The School of Hospitality Business at MSU, the U-Club is sponsor of the MSU Student Chapter of the Club Managers Association of America (CMAA). Each spring semester, general manager Richard A. Bruner, CCM, teaches the class in Club Management for upperclassmen majoring in Hospitality Business. The U-Club also hosts the CMAA business Management Institute III, a program central to the professional education and certification of over 200 club managers each year. In 2005, the University Club established a scholarship endowment to award academic scholarships to qualifying University Club employees.
Just as envisioned by the founding faculty members in 1929, education, discussion, recreation, and community fellowship remain vital components of the Club.